Thursday, September 29, 2011

How Much Public Affection Is Too Much?

A few days ago, Leisha Hailey, who stars in the American cable TV network Showtime's drama "The L Word", was thrown off a Southwest Airlines flight for kissing her unidentified girlfriend.

Lesbian Actress Removed From Southwest Airlines Flight

"L Word" Star Booted From Flight After Kiss

This made me think about a couple of things.  First, as a frequent air traveler, I can't begin to describe the unseemly activities in which I have seen fellow fliers engage on airliners.  Among other (ahem) "interesting" things, I have seen couples engaging in deep kissing, performing mysterious acts under blankets, and going into lavatories together. 

My question to you, dear readers, is two fold.  Item the first:  How much public affection do you think is too much, be it on a plane, a train, or a public place?  Item the second:  Do you think the fact that Ms. Hailey was being affectionate with a same sex partner played into her fellow passengers, and possibly Southwest Airlines, negative reaction to their kissing?  Did Ms. Hailey's reaction to the complaint exacerbate the situation?

My opinions, and they are just that---MY opinions, are that anything beyond handholding, some low key cuddling, and an occasional peck on the lips is unacceptable on an airplane.  These are closed places.  It isn't like a public park where others can merely pass by the behavior.  I really feel like behavior more intimate than this needs to be kept in the privacy of a hotel room or a home.  If folks can't control their urges for the duration of a flight, perhaps they should have stayed home.

As far as the reaction being more negative because this was a same sex couple, I would really like to think that in 21st Century America, we are used to seeing two women kiss, two men hold hands, etc., but I have my doubts that all of society shares my view on this.  (On a related note, I should like to state that the opinion in the paragraph above applies to opposite sex and same sex couples.)  Still, can we not allow same sex couples to tastefully display affection for each other in public places? 

I can also understand why Ms. Hailey would have reacted defensively to being singled out for her behavior, but doesn't becoming aggressive or confrontational only make the problem worse and set the case of gay equality back instead of moving it forward?

I should very much like to know your thoughts and opinions, friends.

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment