Monday, September 26, 2011

How Do I Maintain A Positive Outlook?

How do I maintain a positive outlook?  This is a question I am frequently asked especially when people learn how much death, destruction, and sickness I see on a first hand basis.  Really, the answer isn't all that difficult, and I hope you will find it helpful regardless of your chosen profession.  The following things help me keep my head up and keep me going forward.  I hope they will help you as well.

Treat others with unconditional positive regard.  This essentially means giving others the respect and dignity that all humans deserve regardless of their race, religion (or lack thereof), gender, sexual orientation, politics, or nation of origin and regardless if they are mentally or physically ill, if they follow societal norms for hygiene and grooming, if they are homeless, etc.  (Yes, I know I sometimes fail in this endeavour, but it isn't for lack of trying.)

Practice random acts of kindness.

Practice random acts of generosity.

Give to charity.

Help the less fortunate.

Stand up for who you are, what you are, and what you believe in.

Be honest. 

Do good work.

Lend a helping hand to a person in need.

Spend time with those about whom you care and who care about you; don't waste time on those who don't.

Do not engage in battles of wits with unarmed people. 

And lastly.........................

Treat others the way you would want them to treat you.

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment