Thursday, December 1, 2011

Another Bullied Teen Dead

Well, dear readers, I have been on a bit of a self-imposed hiatus due to the death of my father as well as having to devote a great deal of time to my studies.  However, a recent tragedy in my home state of Indiana has prompted me to speak out again.  It is my intention, at this point, to add new posts to this site at least three times per week for the foreseeable future.

In October of 2010, fourteen year old Jamarcus "Marcus" Bell hung himself after enduring constant taunts about his race, his perceived homosexuality, and his emotional problems.  As you will see from the attached links, there were many issues that need to addressed here.

Indiana Teens Suicide Raises Questions About Bullying

Did School District Miss Bullied Teen's Cries For Help?

Superintendent Says School Acted To Prevent Bullying

Folks, here is another teen who was mercilessly tormented by his classmates.  And why?  Because he was black?  Because he was assumed to be gay?  Because he had mental health issues?  A combination thereof?  Why do any of these things matter?

I am not even going to address whether the school district can be held culpable in this young man's death.  I shall leave that up to the attorneys.  Instead, I should like to address the issue of bullying those perceived to be "different" or "weak".

I realize this is a long time problem.  I myself was bullied from time to time, especially during my middle school years.  Yes, I was a bit of a nerd, but that didn't justify the behavior of the bullies.  The result of my boorish treatment is the strong, opinionated, confident person that I am today.  Fortunately, I had a core group of really good friends that served as a support network for me.  Unlike young Mr. Bell, I never considered suicide, but that doesn't mean that the emotional pain wasn't real.

My question, dear readers, is this.  Why do people (and make no mistake about it, this type of behavior is NOT isolated to teenagers) behave like this?  If they are so ignorant and immature that they have issues with minorities, gays, bookworms, and so on, why can't they just be left alone?  Why must certain groups be singled out for torment and harassment?  Are the bullies so emotionally and mentally weak that they have to somehow redeem themselves by pouring milk all over the girl who is "too school for cool's" lunch tray?  Do they have to prove their worth by throwing pieces of metal at a black kid, who may or may not have been gay, as they did to Jamarcus Bell?  Must they hurl insults and slurs at those who they think are inferior to them?

Why does this continue, and, more importantly, why aren't concrete steps being taken to stop it?  In the age old question, where are the parents?  Yes, teachers and school administrators can play a huge role in preventing the next Jamarcus Bell, but children are conditioned by their parents to behave in certain ways.  Why don't parents and other responsible adults intervene when they observe bullying, and why aren't cases of bullying investigated more thoroughly?  As you read in the attached articles, Jamarcus Bell endured years of bullying, yet virtually nothing was done to stop, and punish, the bullies. 

This is my plea to the responsible adults and teenagers out there.  First, make a pledge to not engage in this type of behavior yourself.  Also, if you witness bullying, step in to stop it, even if your own child is engaging in bullying.  Take all reports of bullying seriously.  Don't just accept bullying as a rite of passage.  I guess in a nutshell what I am asking you to do is stand up to bullying in all of its forms.  Will you stand with me against this scourge on society?  I sincerely hope you will.

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment