Thursday, August 4, 2011

Can We Please Stop Using The Word "Nigger"??

You know what I don't understand?  I don't understand why people insist on using the word "nigger".  And, yes, I am going to write it out instead of using the term "the N-word", so it comes through as bloody offensive as it actually is. 

I mean seriously, people.  Is this 2011 or 1955?  Must people continue to use this vile, derogatory, disgusting word?   Must a certain segment of our population insist on being bigoted against black folks.  Why can't black folks be called "African American" or "black"?  Why can't it be understood that blacks, and everyone else for that matter, are equal to whites?  When will we realize that we all are brothers and sisters, we all come from the same God, and we are all equal?

In the last month, I have heard "nigger" used in general conversation at least ten times; and, quite frankly, it makes me ill.  I suppose I should call people out on it; but if they are ignorant enough to say it, is there any point in trying to reason with them?  I just find it incomprehensible that these racist attitudes still exist.  When will it stop?  Of course, as noted before in this column, I am aghast at the thought of these people passing these prejudices on to their children.  Dear readers, I ask you.  Do you find this as horribly offensive as I?  If so, what can we do to stop not only the use of "nigger", but the bigotry behind it?

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment