Monday, August 8, 2011

Are Young White Supremacists On The Rise?

Friends, I recently attended a music festival, and I was utterly appalled by something I observed.  I was flabbergasted by the number of young men who were wearing T-shirts with "White Power" and other racially charged slogans on them.  I was equally dismayed by the number of people who had swastika tattoos.  It was incredible, and not in a good way.

This led me to a couple of questions.  The first of which is are young white supremacists on the rise?  I wrote a column a few months ago about the rise in racist groups, especially after President Obama's election.  Might this have been first hand evidence of the increase is these kinds of groups?  I have to say that I was quite disturbed by this.  As is often discussed in this space, where did these young adults learn these obviously racist attitudes?  Why do we always think the next generation will be the one to finally understand that all people are equal, and why are we always proven wrong?  I ask one more time, dear readers, how do we finally put a stop to racism and bigotry?

Another thing I wondered was if those who had swastika tattoos actually have a true grasp of the unbridled evil that the Nazis unleashed on the world under the swastika flag?  Is this something that has been somewhat lost as history has progressed?  Why would anyone want to identify with a group that butchered over six million innocent people?  Do they really understand what they are identifying with and promoting?  Quite honestly, folks, it was bone chilling.

This is America.  We have a right to free speech and freedom of expression, even when it is patently offensive.  These folks have the right to put anything they want on their bodies or their clothing.  The deeper issue here is how to prevent racism and prejudice from poisoning another generation of Americans. 

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment