Monday, April 25, 2011

Back By Popular Demand!!!!!!!!

Okay friends and frenemies!!!!  You spoke.  I listened.  "You Know What I Don't Understand?" is back by popular demand. For those of you who may not be familiar with this blog from its first run, I hope to provide opinion from a left of center perspective, which hopefully will lead to lively and spirited debate and discussion amongst my readers.  I also hope to provide a voice of common sense and reason.  While the vast majority of content will be social commentary, I will, from time to time, comment on music, books, and sports. 

And, on Fridays, I shall bring back everyone's favorite column, "Twatwaffles of the Week", where five of the most lowly, annoying, henious, barbaric, or disgusting figures from the previous week will be publicly lambasted.

So without further ado, let's get started.....................

You know what I don't understand?  I don't understand why, when over ten thousand people were just killed in a horrific natural disaster in Japan, when there is turmoil in the Middle East, when there is overwhelming poverty and politcal unrest in Africa, when Portugal is on the verge of bankruptcy, when American troops die in drawn out wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and when children go to bed hungry right here in the US, American citizen choose to grouse about................................the price of a gallon of gasoline.  Seriously?  Gasoline which is still cheaper that a gallon of milk, still cheaper than  bottled water, still cheaper than a gallon of whisky, and substantially cheaper in the States than in Europe? 

This is our main point of concern?  Not tens of thousands of homeless and displaced Japanese?  Not revolutionaries fighting against brutal regimes (some of whom our own government supports) being killed in the streets Yemen and Syria?  Not female protesters being slaughtered in the street in Ivory Coast?  Not US troops putting themselves in harm's way on a daily basis?  Not children in your own neighborhood who go to bed with empty stomachs on a regular basis?  Not the women in the domestic violence shleters? 

No, it would seem that $4.00 per gallon gasoline is a far more pressing matter than any of the items listed above or myriad other injusticies worldwide.  Gas prices.  If that is all most Americans are worried about, we are more spolied as a nation that I think we are, and that is saying something.  As for me, I would rather pay $14 per gallon, if doing so would eradicate the horrors noted earlier.  Think about that for a bit.

Peace and love, my brothers and sisters.

2 comments:

  1. But would $14 gas eradicate any of the aforementioned atrocities? And $14 gas would pretty much ensure that our family would join the rest of the world, as we would be homeless and our children would go to bed with empty stomachs.

    I am not happy about this blog, Doug. I do not have time to add another blog to my read list and I cannot just quietly read and not comment! And I know good and well that I will be reading you! Hopefully, I will pretty much keep my mouth shut! Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanna know where your taxes went?

    http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/taxes/tax-receipt

    ReplyDelete